Monday 17 May 2010

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. ~Terry Pratchett



Week 2

What an eventful week I have had! It so nice to see that I have some friends on Blogger! It gets very lonely looking out at the world through a pane of glass whilst missing the comforts of home.

Well, the pretty big one came back and said that my yukky teeth had to come out. She could not believe that other big ones do not check their cats’ teeth, and she said that I was very brave as mine were rotten! I won’t go into details but they have been removed and I am so grateful to those lovely big ones that donate money. Without their kindness we cats could not have these problems fixed by the experts.

Elvis & Earl have been the reception cats this week (it's a very sought after position), and I asked them to do a bit of research on the PC when the big one wasn’t looking. Those two are great, first time I met them they were so shy. It took me 3 days worth of paw waving before they purrrred back.

So I had to bribe them with 3 bags of catnip, but they got the information I needed to share with you about moggie teeth:

It is possible to care for our teeth in several ways. If you have a young kitten you could try to start brushing its teeth on a regular basis. Do not use big ones toothpaste! You could use the C.E.T. toothpastes which are quite well tolerated by cats. There is also a gel (Logic) which helps to prevent the build up of plaque on the teeth.

If you have an older cat that is not used to having its teeth brushed it may be impossible to start now. So you could try alternative ways to help prevent dental problems. You can buy yummy chews which help to reduce plaque and calculus build up (for example C.E.T. chews). Generally it may help if some part of our diet is given in the form of hard crunchy biscuits. So now you know..

Big Tommy had a turn on reception yesterday (he’s such a hit with the female big ones) and told me that all the big ones at the centre know about toothy problems so anyone can ask them for advice. I’ve noticed that big ones also like to eat hard biscuits with their tea but I never get offered one.

I will leave you on some purrrfect news.....the pretty one with the red hair tells me I can move to the re-homing section next week! I have lots of grooming to do as I will be moving to a new cabin (and I want to show the youngsters that us older girls can play with the best of them).

Love Jasmine xxx

1 comment:

  1. My cats get hard food.. no way will they let me near their teeth! I did try with the kitten, but he's 1/2 Bengal and wont sit still, luckily he has plenty of chews to hone his fangs on. Sorry to hear you had to have yours out. I had 4 out when I had a brace fitted, its not nice, is it?

    ReplyDelete